Aldersgate United Methodist Church
4115 Dewey Avenue
Rochester, NY 14616-1216
Phone # 585-663-3665
1. Play for the “traditional” service each Sunday (11 AM), as well as the early service (9:30 AM) if requested. Play for extra services as needed, such as Christmas Eve and Easter week as well as help in planning these special services with the Pastor and Choir Director.
2. Accompany the choir, including all choir rehearsals (Wednesday evening) as well as the warm-ups before the 11 AM service on Sunday. Play for any other services in which the choir is performing.
3. Maintain a good rapport with the Pastor, Choir Director and members of the choir.
4. Prepare in advance for rehearsals so that the music selections chosen by the choir director can be performed to the director’s satisfaction.
5. Rehearse with and accompany musicians who are providing special music performances, such as people who are performing for the second service during the summer schedule, or other special services.
6. Be an ex-officio member of the Worship Committee.
Hours/Payment: 4-5 hours, $7500 – $8500 per annum depending on experience.
Contact the church at 585-663-3665, or Jim Cobia at firstname.lastname@example.org, to apply.
Director of Music
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish, Hamlin, NY
Contact Name: Jim Pudetti / Sharon Campbell
Contact Phone: 585-964-8627
Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Type: Part Time
Salary Range: Salary is commensurate with training and experience.
- Serve as member of the Worship Committee and attend monthly meetings currently held on the first Thursday of each month.
- Provide keyboard accompaniment and leadership for congregational singing at every weekend Mass, holy days, and proper liturgies of Holy Week.
- Identify, train and schedule cantor for Masses at which the director is not present. Cantor may be a musician or accompanied by a musician.
b. Be present for two (2) liturgies each weekend, at least one of which is a choir Mass.
c. Be present at choir rehearsals, currently held every Wednesday evening.
d. Serve as Choir Director.
e. Oversees and trains the Children’s Choir leader as needed.
- Provide for the rehearsing with the congregation of new hymns and responses before Mass, and/or through repetition at Mass.
- Provide for music and song at Reconciliation Services, Baptisms during Mass, and no more than three (3) other para-liturgical services.
- With other musicians, assist in:
- Selecting and preparing music for choirs and congregation, and special Whole Community Catechesis celebrations, and RCIA ceremonies.
b. Preparing the music budget with Worship Committee chairperson.
- Provide music and song at weddings and funerals.
- The music stipend for weddings is $150.00 and for funerals is $100.00, payable through the payroll system.
b. Fees for additional musicians and/or singers will be negotiated with the Director of Music Ministry.
- Additional services other than detailed above to be negotiated with and paid by the individuals or organizations requesting the service.
- Participates in staff meetings.
Bachelors in Music, or equivalent in education and experience, strong keyboard knowledge, choral conducting and vocal skills.
Preferred: Knowledge of Roman Catholic Liturgy.
Salary is commensurate with training and experience.
Interested candidates can send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted: September 22, 2016
Director of Music
St. Luke’s Episcopal Church, Fairport, NY
Contact Name: Rev. Deven Hubert
Contact Phone: 585-223-2796
Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Type: Part Time
Salary Range: $20-23 per hour
Job Description: The Music Director/Organist is a part-time positon responsible for planning, implementing, and performing the church music program. He/She is a member of the church Worship Commission; and works with the commission to ensure that the music program is an integral part of the worship service, and that it is aligned with the church mission and strategic plan. Music Director/Organist will conduct a vibrant, varied sacred music program to enrich the spiritual experience of the congregation. Position reports directly to the Rector or designee.
– Plans, selects, and collaborates with the Rector on a variety of music (hymns, liturgical music, etc.) which add to the worship experience.
– Plays organ/piano as required for services during the year including preludes/postludes.
– Organizes, accompanies and directs the adult choir and holds regular rehearsals from September to June.
– Recruits members of the choir and other participants to the music program.
– Provides musical direction and accompaniment for special services and events including, but not limited to Christmas, Easter, Ash Wednesday, etc.
– Plans, develops and maintains the church music library.
– Arranges and performs music at weddings and funerals as requested; collaborates on selected music for these services with the Rector.
– Arranges for, coordinates and works with outside instrumentalists for special occasions.
– Plans proposed yearly budget with the Rector.
– Attends three (3) Worship Commission meetings throughout the year and serves as chief church music resource.
– Supports the Mission and Strategic Plan of the church.
– Performs other duties as may be requested or required by the Rector or designee.
– Education: Degree in music with specialization in organ or sufficient academic background to perform required duties.
– Experience: Minimum three (3) years of experience directing and performing. .
– Demonstrates proficiency in organ and piano.
– Any equivalent combination of training and experience as defined above.
– Strong communication skills and ability to work cooperatively with persons of varied musical abilities and backgrounds. Experience in a church setting, background in religious music, and presentation skills a plus. Possess and demonstrate positive attitude.
– Successful completion of the Safe Church Training program and background check.
Interested candidates should send resumes and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org or The Rev. Deven Hubert PO Box 146 Fairport, NY 14450.
Apply by: August, 2016.
Posted: July 12, 2016
Director of Music
Bethany Presbyterian Church, Rochester, NY
Job Description: Bethany Presbyterian Church has served the people of Greece and Rochester, Monroe County, the Presbytery of Genesee Valley and the world-wide mission of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) for over 100 years. We are looking for a talented and dedicated individual to serve as our next Director of Music to minister to the congregation through the music of worship while developing the musical gifts of participants as an expression of their faith. The individual must have successful experience in directing choirs, knowledge of worship music, and be skilled as a pianist and organist. The ideal candidate will be organized, creative, and have a sense of humor as well as be a team player.
• Skills in leading worship through organ and piano playing, both for choral and congregational singing, along with instrumental solo pieces
• Skills in instrumental and choral conducting, in voice development, and in worship planning in coordination with the pastor
• Knowledge of choral repertoire and familiarity with a variety of choral rehearsal techniques
• Openness to a wide variety of musical styles
• Good organizational and communication skills
• Clear concept of being an integral part of the ministerial team
• Ability to play and conduct simultaneously
• Plan, rehearse, direct the choir, and perform the music for Sunday morning services
• Assume responsibility for leadership of the adult and children’s choirs
• Participate in regular meetings of the Church Staff as well as the Worship and Music Committee
• In cooperation with the pastor, plan and implement the music for worship services as well as special services and music events, e.g., Chistmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, weddings, funerals
• Organize special Sunday morning music during summer months when choirs are not in session
• Maintain the music library
• Work within an annually approved music budget
• Provide direct supervision and guidance to the Assistant Organist
• Network with other colleagues in the Rochester music community through such programs as the American Guild of Organists, ecumenical events, etc.
• Please submit a cover letter, resume, and at least three references and/or letters of recommendation to email@example.com
• Review of applications will be conducted on an ongoing basis with a goal of identifying a successful candidate by September 2016
Apply by: August 9, 2016
Posted: July 12, 2016